The local government market is comprised government entities at the county, city, borough and township level. It also includes educational institutions, authorities and commissions, fire departments, rescue and ambulance units, police departments, and health institutions.
The local government contracting marketplace is perhaps the most overlooked market, as compared to state and federal markets. However, it can prove to be a lucrative market with numerous beneficial aspects:
- Growing trend to Buy Local
- Lower costs of doing business
- Proximity to contracting officials for face-to-face meetings and relationship building
- Proximity to place of performance
- Less competition than at state of federal level
- Reputation and performance history is key
Businesses wishing to pursue local government business may choose to consider the COSTARS Program.
COSTARS is the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's cooperative purchasing program. This program provides local government entities and suppliers a tool to find and do business with each other effectively through the use of a COSTARS-exclusive contract. There are several thousand local government buying entities utilizing COSTARS contracts.
For Assistance entering the local government marketplace, please contact the PTAC at SAP&DC at email@example.com.